Magdalena Bay • Mexico Sardine Run & Striped Marlin
October – December Mango Wind
Every fall, the waters around Magdalena Bay teem with life when the sardine run draws in predators from seabirds to sharks, sea lions, whales, dolphins and the world’s fastest fish, the striped marlin (Kajikia audax). This is an unforgettable experience for snorkelers, divers and free-divers.
The excitement of marlin going after a bait ball right in front of you is off the clock! But there is more to Magdalena Bay than the sardine run. It’s a gorgeous place to visit for the pristine beaches, mangroves, and sardine runs. The diving is great! We work in partnership with ex-fishermen panga captains who turned to eco-experiences and have the knowledge and network to absolutely maximize your experience here.
- Convenient departures from Cabo, San Jose and La Paz.
- Transfer by land in 2021 and by sea voyage with Nautilus Gallant Lady from Cabo in 2022.
- Smaller is better! 12 guests (Gallant Lady) max on each trip. Not more than 6 in each panga.
- Perfect adventures for snorkelers, divers and free-divers. All are welcome!
- Limited scuba diving available by prior request.
Illegal Fishing Pressure, What You Can Do to Help:
- Come and visit. Take photos and video.
- Listen to the stories from the panga captains and locals about illegal factory fishing of the sardine for the purpose of dog and cat food.
- Share your impressions on social media and tell your friends about what you learned.
- Public pressure is our best bet to put an end to illegal industrial exploitation of the last major sardine run in this part of the world.